Friday, August 18, 2006

As Some of You May Know


As some of you may know, I have been spending A LOT of my free time (of which, coincidentally, I have a lot) watching movies, and last night I watched The Bridges of Madison County. Ok, let me just say - saddest movie of my life. Well, it's right behind Brokeback Mountain (no pun intended...). This leads me to a desire to produce a list of what I like to call The Best/Saddest Movies of All Time. Now I realize this is a presumptuous title, but you have to know that movies such as those listed above and below really get me and tend to bring out a more intense emotional part of me... That said, let me know if you think of any other good ones. I know there are plenty more out there and I'm sure I'll want to see them.

IN RANDOM ORDER
The Bridges of Madison County
Brokeback Mountain
The English Patient
Titanic
Million Dollar Baby
Sophie's Choice
Cold Mountain

Beaches
My Girl
Love Story
Mystic River
Out of Africa
Dead Man Walking
Moulin Rouge
Steel Magnolias
Legends of the Fall
Armageddon
Where The Red Fern Grows
Life Is Beautiful

As I said, this isn't a comprehensive list; it does include some of my favorite movies, though. Some of you might be wondering why I'm not including The Notebook in this list. My reason is this - The Notebook ends with the two lovers together, having spent a lifetime of happiness, they die in eachother's arms. For the most part, these other characters were up against difficulties that they couldn't get around. These movies are sad in a tragic sort of way. If you haven't seen these movies - SEE THEM!

1 comment:

Megan said...

the book the notebook ends differently. the book made me cry. a lot. though the movie does bring a tear or two to my eyes.